Blueberry Pie Bites
The Friday of a long weekend calls for work treats and team bonding. These Blueberry Pie Bites are super easy and fun to make. Involve the wee ones and you're sure to come out with some interestingly shaped blueberry pastry pillows!
The baking of these pastries was done in our Glenergy prototype solar cooker. You could make these in the GoSun Fusion or Sport provided you shape the pastry to fit the cooking tray.
BLUEBERRY PIE BITES
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Servings: 7 snack size portions
Total Time: 55 Minutes (Given that you have full sun)
- Store brand pie crust (or your choice of already made pie crust)
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 3 tbs sugar
- 1 egg + 1 tbs of water
- Rinse blueberries under cold running water. Combine with the 3 tbs sugar to create the filling of the pie bites.
- In a separate bowl, prepare your egg wash by mixing the egg with 1 tbs of water.
- Lay your pie crust on a flat surface. Using something with a cylindrical opening (we used a cup, you could use a cookie cutter or mason jar lid) slice seven 1 and 1/2" circles.
- Place an appropriate dollop of filling into the center of each circle.
- Pinch the edges of the circles in 3 spots to form the pastry pillows (or create your own fun shape)!
- Brush egg wash over the pastries, sprinkle with a little extra sugar.
- Load the cooking tray with pie bites and bake for 45 mins.
- When you can smell the delicious scent of blueberry pie wafting from the cooker, they are done! (Or when they're golden of course).
Adapted from: Rachel Schultz
Let us know how your blueberry pie bites turned out! Enjoy.