GF Apple Pull-Apart Loaf
As the cooler temperatures greet us, we begin to crave warm, comforting treats. This loaf is gluten free, delish and screams fall! Great for pairing with coffee or just as is. The gluten-free all purpose flour mix was found at Bulk Barn but you can also opt to make your own.
This recipe is made using a combination of electricity and solar energy. In the essence of time, and functionality, a microwave and stand up mixer were used in the making of these loaves. However, it is possible to create these loaves using only the solar cooker. Alternatively, the milk could be heated in one of the small, non-stick cooking pans, while the butter/shortening melted in another pan at the same time.
Make this is either in the GoSun Fusion or the Glenergy Cooker.
You will need 3 non-stick cooking pans.
Slice it if you want, or pull it apart! We hope you enjoy.
GF Apple Pull Apart Loaf
Yield: 3 small loafs
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Total Time: 1hr 20 minutes
- 3 cups gluten free white all-purpose flour mix
- 1 ¼ cup + 2tbs milk of choice (I used coconut)
- 1 yeast packet or 2 ½ tsp
- 3 tsp xanthan gum (can use guar gum as well, do not add if the gluten-free flour mix you’re using already contains some)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tbs melted (vegetable shortening/ unsalted butter) + extra for parchment paper
- 3 tbs shortening/unsalted butter
- 3 small apples cut thin
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 ½ tsp cinnamon
- Heat up your milk in the microwave for about 20 seconds, or until warm to the touch. The milk shouldn't be hot or it will kill the yeast. Combine milk with yeast. Set aside, it will take about 7 minutes to double in size (or until you see bubbles and a foaminess).
- Meanwhile, combine and mix flour, xanthan gum, salt, sugar.
- Melt the shortening/unsalted butter.
- Once the milk and yeast combo is ready, poor the milk and yeast into your flour mixture along with your melted shortening/unsalted butter.
- Mix ingredients by hand for 10 minutes or in a stand mixer for 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut your apples into small cubes, skin or skin off (whichever you prefer) and set aside.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a small dish.
- Ensure your shortening/unsalted butter is soft enough to be able to spread on the flattened dough. Coat your non-stick pans with some of the extra shortening/butter.
- After 10 minutes, dust a flat baking sheet or clean workspace (16x20) with extra flour. Work the dough out in a rectangular shape.
- Spread enough shortening or butter onto the dough. Before sprinkling the brown sugar mixture over top of the shortening or butter, save 2tbs of the cinnamon sugar mixture for topping.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal rows and 4 equal columns so you are left with dough rectangles (it's ok if they aren't perfect in size, this is what will make the loaves unique!)
- Take your coated, non-stick pans and place one rectangle of the dough at the bottom, brown sugar mixture face-up. Top with apple chunks.
- Continue layering the dough and apples. Complete this step with all three loaf pans. Top with reserved brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Position your solar cooker and place tray and pans into the tube. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until steaming and fragrant!
Leave a comment