This is a versatile breakfast casserole that was inspired and adapted from Chrissy Teigen's Everything Bagel Cream Cheese Breakfast Bake!
The way I can best describe it is: omelette, meets bagel, meets egg sandwich.
Before testing this recipe out, I would have never thought of making a casserole out of bagels and didn't have high expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised and believe you will be too!
Like I mentioned above, this recipe can be easily adapted to include your favourite bagels and omelette ingredients!
For this recipe you will need:
Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
*Sauté time: 30 minutes
*Bake time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 25 minutes
The recipe that inspired this recipe had called for other ingredients that I omitted because I didn't have them. If you have cream cheese, nestling a couple cold cubes into the non-stick baking pans once prepped would make this dish even better, I'm sure. Adding a teaspoon of Dijon mustard to the egg/cream/mustard/ mix would also be great.
1. Dice the onion, pepper and mushrooms into small, bite sized pieces. You can dice the grape tomatoes too - I like to leave mine whole. Place in a bowl, coat with oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Divide the veggie mixture between the 3 non-stick baking pans. Place the pans into the solar cooker and allow to sauté for 25-30 minutes.
3. While the vegetables are sautéing, combine the eggs, milk and cream.
4. Cut your bagel into 2 inch chunks and poor the egg mixture over the bagel, allowing to soak until the vegetables are done.
5. Combine the egg and bagel mixture in a bowl with the sautéed vegetables and divide evenly among the three pans. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and basil.
Remove from pans and serve topped with extra cheese and fresh basil.